Indigenous women of Nepal face multiple forms of discrimination. Indigenous women, being indigenous peoples, face racial, linguistic, religious, cultural, economic, political discrimination and exclusion. Also, indigenous women, being women, face gender discrimination. Thus, indigenous women are victimized by ideologies, policies and practices of Bahunbad (Brahmanism) and patriarchy. Empowerment and strengthening of indigenous women is a must to end all forms of racial and gender discrimination, exploitation, suppression and oppression against indigenous women. Acceptance of multi-caste and ethnic, multi-lingual, multi-religious and multi-cultural reality of Nepali society by the people’s movement of 1990 has indeed paved a way for non-governmental organizations to contribute for empowerment and strengthening of indigenous peoples, women and other excluded groups and communities. There was growing realization for a need of organized efforts by indigenous women to make development programs for women and indigenous peoples successful, to organize and empower indigenous women from local to national levels on common issues of women, and to work for equity and equality by having common objectives on women’s common issues. It was in this backdrop that the National Indigenous Women Forum (NIWF) was founded in 1998.
There are not only common problems and issues of indigenous women and other women and also of indigenous women and indigenous men but also distinct problems and issues that are unique to indigenous women. Therefore, the National Indigenous Women Forum (NIWF) was established to support and raise awareness of indigenous women, to intensify advocacy for securing rights of indigenous women and indigenous children, and to run programs with focus on advocacy, training, discussion, interaction, study, and research as needed.
To contribute to the establishment of just and equitable society
To empower indigenous women by eliminating social, political, cultural, religious and linguistics discrimination for social justice
NIWF’s goal is to support indigenous women to be an equal partner in the national development.
NIWF’s major objectives are:
- Advocate ensuring the rights of highly marginalized and endangered indigenous peoples particularly women.
- Promoting the social, cultural, political and economical rights of indigenous women;
- Intervening in areas where Indigenous women needs support by finding out and assessing the social situation of indigenous women;
- Assisting Indigenous women in mobilizing resources from local, national and other sources so as to make them economically independent;
- To increase awareness level of people on the issues of indigenous women widely through publications of different types of publications;
- To organize exploited and marginalized women so that they are able to understand their rights, work to ensure their rights and aware the community on various issues such trafficking of women and children, sex trade etc;
- To coordinate with various state and non state actors on the issue of indigenous women and work in collaboration with them;
- To implement human resources and infrastructural development activities to improve the overall situation of indigenous women.
- Policy advocacy (UN mechanism)
- To rebuild and reconstruct the destruction caused by natural calamities.
- Adaptation and mitigation to minimize the effects of climate change.
- लोपोन्मुख र अति सिमान्तकृत अवस्थामा रहेका आदिवासीजनजाति महिलाहरुको हक र अधिकार सुरक्षित गर्नको लागि पैरवी र जनवकालत गर्ने ।
- पछाडि पारिएका आदिवासीजनजाति महिलाहरुका आर्थिक, भाषिक, सामाजिक, धार्मिक, राजनीतिक तथा सांस्कुतिक पक्षमा सहयोग पुर्याउने ।
- आदिवासी जनजाति महिलाहरुका सामाजिक अवस्था संग सम्बन्धित विधिन्न पक्षमा अनुसन्धान गरि सवाल र समस्याहरुको विश्लेषण गर्ने र आवश्यकता अनुसार कार्यक्रम संचालन गर्ने ।
- आथिर्क रुपमा आत्म निर्भर बन्नको लागि स्थानीय तथा बाह्य श्रोत र साधनको परिचालन र नियन्त्रण गर्नमा सहयोग पुर्याउने ।
- आदिवासी जनजाति महिलाहरुकाबारेमा विभिन्न पत्रपत्रिका र निर्देशिका प्रकासन गरि जनचेतना जगाउने ।
- शोषित, पिडित अवस्थामा रहेका आदिवासी जनजातिका महिलाहरुलाई आûनो हक अधिकारको साथै चेलीबेटी बेचबिखन तथा देहव्यापारक ोबारेमा सचेतना जगाई संगठित रुपमा अगाडि बढाउने ।
- स्थनिय निकाय तथा नेपाल सरकारको स्वीकृती लिएर समाजमा विद्यमान रहेका विभिन्न समस्याहरुको सामाधानको लागि मानविय तथा भौतिक विकासका कार्यक्रमहरु संचालन गर्ने ।
Major Activity Areas
Indigenous peoples’ rights, Human Rights, Social Inclusion, Gender, UN instruments, Women’s’ rights